Davis Square Neighborhood Plan Draft
The comment period for this project has ended. We received your comments and are currently working on incorporating them and finalizing the plan. Stay tuned for a new version soon.
Davis Square Neighborhood Plan
The Davis Square planning process started in 2013 with a crowdsourcing, visioning session, and three-day charrette. We got some great ideas from that process that we’re carrying forward into our future work with the neighborhood.
In 2015, we got the opportunity to work with Gehl Architects to document the public space and life in Somerville. Several spots in Davis Square were surveyed. People LOVE Davis Square (I think we already knew that) and want to see the public realm improved upon. The work culminated in the Public Space Public Life Report. Using that report and methodology we were able to install movable chairs in Kenney Park – it increased Kenney’s stickness (if you don’t get it, read the report)!
In 2016, we brought Gehl back to work in Davis Square on a public realm pilot. In June we shut down the slip lane (that’s a technical term but it’s the turn lane to go from Highland to Elm Street) in front of Mike’s and chair bombed Seven Hills Park with red Adirondack chairs. We collected data and were able to compare it with the 2015 data. In 2015, 11.64 people on average were experiencing the park in a 10 minute period. After the install of the chairs, 21.16 people were experiencing the park over a 10 minute period. Giving people the opportunity to sit and the ability to move their chair to where they find comfort paid off in Seven Hills.
In the Spring of 2017, we held a series of four meetings discussing the character of Davis Square. The presentations covered places types, developments, and aesthetics. Planners also did a tour of Davis Square with attendees to take pictures of relevant features that expressed the character of the square.
In the Fall of 2017 we held two additional neighborhood meetings. On the first, we sought direct participation from community members to come up with topics regarding Davis Square they feel are important. At the second meeting, participants focused on how they could take action steps towards larger goals. For the last five months, we’ve been writing the plan and it’s out for a 30 day review. Check it out!
- “What is Important to Me” Crowdsourcing Survey
- “What is Important to Me” Survey Results
- Visual Preference Survey Results
- Asset Mapping Results
- Dot Exercise Results
- Crowdsourcing Meeting (May 21st, 2013)
- Visioning Sessions (July 17th, 2013 & July 30th, 2013)
- Charrette Pin-Up Ideas
- Relaunch Presentation
Design Guidelines Meetings
- Meeting 1 – (February 13, 2017) slides: Place Types Davis Square Meeting PDF
- Meeting 1 – (February 13, 2017) video: Place Types Davis Square Meeting Video
- Meeting 2 – (March 2, 2017) slides: Developments Davis Square Meeting PDF
- Meeting 2 – (March 2, 2017) video: Developments Davis Square Meeting Video
- Meeting 3 – (March 21, 2017) slides: Aesthetics Davis Square Meeting PDF
- Meeting 3 – (March 21, 2017) video: Aesthetics Davis Square Meeting Video
- Meeting 4 – (April 25, 2017) slides: Aesthetics Davis Square Meeting PDF
- Meeting 4 – (April 25, 2017) video: Aesthetics Davis Square Meeting Video
- US Census Maps (Census Tracts, Western Somerville Blocks, Eastern Somerville Blocks)
- Homeowner& Renter Demographics (2010 Census)
- Income & Education Statistics (2011 ACS)
- Assessed Property Values by Block (2003-2013)
- Building Permits by Block (2004-2010)
- Building Permit Construction Cost Totals by Block (2004-2010)
- Data Descriptions
- Parking Utilization Study
Project Timeline and Materials
- 6/21/12: Public Project Walk Around
- 6/26/12: Public Charrette (Principles and Objectives)
- 6/2012-8/2012: Public Input Survey (Summary of 550+ responses)
- 7/17/12: Community Meeting (Presentation)
- 8/07/12: Public Presentation (Presentation)
- 9/24/12: Community Meeting (Presentation)
- 11/1/12 Traffic Report
- Winter 2012 Preliminary Design Recommendations (Report and Input Diagram)
- 5/21/13: Somerville by Design Crowdsourcing Meeting (Survey Results)
- 7/17/13, 7/30/13: Somerville by Design Visioning Sessions
- 9/9/13 – 9/11/13: Charrette with Pop Up Plaza and Pin-Up
- Winter 2013-2014 Phase 2 Design
- 4/30/14: Community Design Update (Plans)
- Fall-Winter 2014-2015: 75% Design